Family Visa

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).You can apply for this visa outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you can apply only if your temporary visa lets you apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

The temporary Partner visa allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.

In some circumstances the visa can be granted where your partner relationship has ended.
The temporary Partner visa is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa. You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.
You lodge one application form for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.